8.07.2011

Sweet Basil and Blackberry Jam...



Now that the morning sickness has passed {hurray!} I have moved on to more important things like how much can I possibly eat in one weekend.  The answer?  Apparently everything within eyesight and if you watch Food Network as much as I do, that can be sorta dangerous.  Ryan is even dreaming of me eating if that gives you a visual of how often I have something to munch on in hand.

Friday night I was home alone and instead of being so tired I couldn't even think straight, I actually had energy and wanted to do something, anything besides sit on my throne {aka my chair in the living room with a twin bed that folds out that has been out since my little sister stayed the night last weekend- so pregnancy does have some perks!  You can have a pull out bed in your living room and guests won't say a thing about it!  In fact they act as if it is perfectly normal and I LOVE it.}

This jam was just the little project I needed.  Easy peasy and so delish {in the words of Rachel Ray}.  So if you too want to feel like domestic goddess and love to smear stuff on baguette as much as I do- make this jam!  It tastes like summer in a jar and it will make your house smell yummy.


Whatcha need to make it...

  • One 16-ounce bag frozen blackberries, thawed, juice reserved
  • 4 cups fresh basil leaves (3 1/2 ounces)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 large orange)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 medium lemon)
How to make it...

*set the blackberries out in a bowl to thaw {remember you need the juice of the berry as well}

*combine the basil, sugar, orange juice, and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth consistency {kind of like a runny pesto}

*once your berries have thawed place them in your pot and smash them down a little with a fork {I used my potato masher cause I like my jam to be more smooth then chunky- so it's really up to your preference}

*combine your runny basil mixture with the berries and bring to a boil

*turn heat down to low heat and simmer for 25- 30 minutes, stirring occasionally

*Take off heat and allow to cool for one hour

*Place in jar and enjoy for the next couple of days with: pork chops, baguette, on top of crepes or pancakes...or like Giada herself, by the spoonful all by it's glorious self



I am declaring it Foodie Week over here at 906 so look for more yumminess to come! And blogger was being a pain so please excuse some spacing issues and font variations, apparently my blog has a mind of it's own tonight and my hormones can't play nice right now so I just said whatever and posted that dang thing!




1 comment:

  1. Looking back of some of your posts today. This looks really yummy. I am going to try this recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete

I am a stay at home mommy so all adult conversation means I get to keep my sanity just a little bit longer...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...